Tuesday, February 28, 2006

TEST OF A PROPER PHILOSOPHY

Tests of a Proper Philosophy

http://moriasophy.blogspot.com/

Proper Philosophy

I'm hoping for some discussion with this blog. This blog is relatively young. Since I've started, I've engaged in many philosophical discussions both here and on other blogs. What I would like to accomplish is to set some guidelines which should be required of a philosophy. What makes a good and sound philosophy? Here are some of my suggestions:

1. Reason - I know, I know! You're saying, "Duh!" But it needs mentioning. We have all met people who's philosophy on life is completely unreasonable. Philosophies must be reasonable, meaning that they should not contradict themselves. This is often called the "Law of Non-Contradiction." If this law is to be denied, the results would be hazardous. Thinking and reasoning would be impossible; our lively-hood would be impossible; and communication would be impossible. In the end, attempting to formulate a philosophy would be impossible, much less refute or defend philosophies.

2. Outer Experiences - I know Skepticals would oppose this. In all honesty, I find no reason why to dismiss our outer experiences. There has been much discussions on this at this blog site between A Romantic Individualist and I here. The reasoning for this test could be found in those. No matter your exact view, it should take into account your outer experience.

3. Inner Experiences - We should also be honest with ourselves. We are beings who think, reason, feel, hurt, love, believe, hate, make mistakes, dream, and acts. We are aware of ourselves. We have many experiences. We can try to explain these but we can not dismiss them.

4. Practice - Another words, I don't want to listen to someone who is a hypocrite to their own philosophy. If you can't live by it, don't defend it.I adapted these from Ronald H. Nash in his Life's Ultimate Questions. I would like to hear some thoughts on what constitutes a proper philosophy

Bookmark and Share
> posted by Trevor Hammack @ 12:32 PM   0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home