Saturday, January 14, 2006

Freedom Riders: 1961 and the Struggle for Racial Justice

I posted an article earlier this month in which I gave a few suggested books for reading. I am going to post another suggestion today. I would ask the readers of this blog to please let me know if you actually read any of the books I suggest. I would be curious to read your thoughts on the book or books you read. If the feedback is positive, I may continue to add suggestions throughout the year.

BOOK:

Freedom Riders: 1961 and the Struggle for Racial Justice.
Author: Raymond ArsenaultReleased: 2006













Information:
In 1961, the Freedom Riders set out for the Deep South to defy Jim Crow laws and call for change. They were met by hatred and violence -- and local police often refused to intervene. But the Riders' efforts transformed the civil rights movement.





Audio: You can listen to a story about the history and the book at:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5149667

Bookmark and Share
> posted by Trevor Hammack @ 1:16 PM   0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home